The College Struggle

First and foremost I have some things to touch base with you guys on. If you have any questions leave them for me here also please read that post it’s very important, secondly I have fixed the pictures from the Ball and my walk downtown so if you wanted to see those please recheck them out. Also I would really appreciate it if at least one person asked me a question, like you would be my new favorite if you did.

You guessed it guys, I’m going to do another list. I just wrote a serious post but I don’t feel like doing the research to finish it so that’ll come another day so I have to do something rather quickly to post this and head to bed to rest up for my Arabic test tomorrow, please pray for that to go well, I’m a stressing. Anyway, so lately I’ve been noticing things that only really happen in college which really make it a struggle so here it goes. I’m going to numbers instead of bullet points because I’m feeling fancy today. Ooo switching it up.

The College Struggle

1. Showers. Showers are a daily struggle, which is awful because I typically love showers, like at home if I have time I could spend like a good half hour in the shower. Anyway, the struggle first and foremost, is that here, if the water gets too hot it will SHUT OFF and you have to wait FIVE whole minutes until it comes back on. I can’t even tell you how many times this has happened to me, I like a hot shower and I get punished for it, not even fair.  Anyway, another horrible part of the shower is the freaking shoes. I hate it so much I feel like my feet never get properly cleaned. Also I get really annoyed when someone is in the shower I like, because I’m very specific and there’s only like two I like really so if they’re both taken you can bet your bottom dollar that I’m not going to be a happy camper.
  2. Exam Weeks. No I’m not talking about final week or even the week of midterms, it seems to me that professors decide to have every major exam during the same week and it drives me insane. Let’s split this up guys, okay?
  3. Dining hall food.Let me tell you this stuff is hit or miss. And being a Catholic on Fridays during lent is actually ridiculous, last week they didn’t even have fish! Tonight I had a good piece of brisket so I though, oh let me get another, and it was awful. Literally hit and miss for one food in the same day. Also the vegetables are covered in salt and butter, that is not how I like my green beans thank you very much.
  4. Time is an odd thing, like I lost all concept of time here. I could be studying and all of the sudden it’s 7 and I missed dinner, I’ve done it and it’s the worst.
  5. Snacks are a struggle. Like at home with my family chances are if I want something we have it, with a few exceptions. Here if I get a sudden craving for something I most likely have to suffer or if it won’t go away I have to take a trip to the store which I don’t like to do that because in case you weren’t aware I don’t like to leave my room.
  6. Leaving my room. Every morning I wake up, and if it’s a Monday, Wednesday, or Friday, you can see me supporting my pajamas in the dining hall filling my to-go box with french toast or a bagel, and always, always, always sausage. It’s also a struggle when I try to leave for like dinner and after I’m done for the day because half the time I have stuff to do or I’m too mentally drained to move. However, once I get over myself I typically enjoy myself.
  7. Dorm rooms. Okay I only really have one complaint about mine right now and it’s this freaking broken tile. It is driving me mad and it keeps getting worse, to be honest I just need to go buy some super glue and piece it back together before it’s completely gone. I also really need to clean my room but that’s more of a personal thing.
  8. Taking classes you don’t need. I’m not going to be a translator, why am I taking a language? I’m not going to be a scientist why do I have to take a bio lab? I should only have to take classes that pertain to an idea of what I want to do. I know for a fact that I’m not going the science track so I shouldn’t have to take any of those. I should take classes for things I’m interested in.

Okay so that’s it for now I believe. I might add more. Please ask me questions, please. I don’t want to have nothing to answer tomorrow, because that’s embarrassing. Also go check out those other posts please. That’s it for now. Thanks for reading!

XOXO,

Mary.

8 thoughts on “The College Struggle

1. Kome March 26, 2014 / 12:01 am

Thats one of the many reasons that I chose to do my International Business Degree (BA) overseas (Australia). No general studies requirements. I spent 3.5 years taking classes within my degree field. I didn’t even chose to take an elective outside of my field. I ended up with a double degree and 3 majors when I graduated, ha!

• Mary March 26, 2014 / 7:44 pm

Are you originally from the US and did you have to stay there then? Because that sounds really awesome and I am insanely jealous.

• Kome March 26, 2014 / 8:39 pm

Yup. I chose to go overseas for numerous reasons but here are a few more of the most important:
        * Going to school overseas is no more expensive than going out-of-state
        *Part of my desired education was Japanese and Asian Studies (the other part of my double-degree) – which was (at the time) only offered at US universities that were either Ivy league or super expensive coastal cities.

So, I chose to do a full degree program overseas. A non-profit company based in Denver called AustraLearn helped me through the whole process with the paperwork (I was only 20 at the time, lol). IT was epically awesome. I would go back in a heart beat.

• Mary March 26, 2014 / 10:33 pm

That’s insane in an awesome way! If I was doing something more culturally based, I would definitely look into that! I am so jealous. How did you even find something like that? They really need to teach people this kind of stuff.

• Kome March 27, 2014 / 12:03 am

That is a huge weakness and disadvantage of being an American. We are self-centered. The world exists, but only in the context of “out there.” In Europe you hope a train and travel 5 countries away for the weekend. Asia is much the same. 50% of Australians were not born there. The rest of the affluent world are travelers and explorers. We lost that somewhere… it was replaced by laziness, fear and excuses.

I had a 5th grade teacher that had lived in Australia for 10 years. She often spoke about it. I decided then and there I would go to. It wasn’t until college where I found my excuse. I looked for information and found help. It was a lot of work and with AustraLearn’s help, I got there. Dream completed.

You only live once doesn’t apply to alcohol and partying. It applies to dreams, wishes and your bucket list. These aren’t things that should only merit a “that would be nice”. They should be goals. Time is fleeting, my young, idealistic college friend.

Americans can do study abroad in Australia for 1 semester. At the very least, try to go somewhere for school. If not study abroad, then a summer program. It is such a wasted opportunity to let the vast possibilities of education to be limited to book work. I learned more in Australia than I have in 10 years of college, just by being somewhere very different.

• Mary March 27, 2014 / 6:40 pm

That’s so amazing. I wish I would’ve seen this as an option when applying to schools. However, I would partially blame this on the American school system, I once talked to my guidance counselor about going to a school on the west coast and she was shocked and unwilling to help on the application process. I’m sure it was nice knowing at such a young age where you wanted to study.

I completely understand what you are saying about the “you only live once” phrase, it’s something I try to do, follow my dreams, not party. I don’t like feeling like I’m going to regret something, so I try (even though it’s hard sometimes) to make the best of every situation. I have lots of goals, one being to study abroad.

My goal is to study abroad my junior year either in Australia or somewhere in England (not London), however when visiting my college they made it seem as if they had a very strong program here and it’s definitely not as good as I thought it was going to be. Overall my goal in life is to just travel and see as many places as possible.

Thank you for sharing with me. You’re story is amazing.

• Kome March 27, 2014 / 8:56 pm

I share because, like my teacher before me, I can inspire you to live outside the box. =)

• Mary March 27, 2014 / 10:05 pm

Well I can guarantee that you helped me to do so. :)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )