About two years ago I had to walk away from one of the best people in my life, up until that point. I’ve written little snippets about him before which you can read here but that’s not what this post is about. After all he put me through, what was best for me was to walk away. I have reasons of my own, mostly the way he treated me for doing so, and after attempts to fix it became clear that something changed in us and we were no longer the same people. Sometimes a friendship or a relationship runs it course, and it’s tough but you might hit a time where you need to move on, so after having to move on several times here are my tips for doing so.
- Keep yourself occupied, don’t sit around and wallow in self-pity. Go to the movies, go to the mall, watch funny movies, hang out with other people, do things alone don’t let it sit inside your body too long.
- Only let yourself wallow for no more than a day. You can cry it out right at the beginning or three months later, whatever works for you, but try not to cry and wallow for more than a day. If you do this you’re going to sink into a depression or a very dark place and it’ll make it hard to move on. Binge on chocolate and watch sad movies for a day, two tops, but try not to sit like this for too long.
- Talk to new people, put yourself out there. This is something I struggle with but it’s important. Try to make new friends, go for the rebound, it’ll help momentarily, just try not to hurt anyone else in the progress. Put yourself out there.
- If you are having a bad flashback day, chocolate always helps.
- Cut them off, delete their number, unfollow them, take a step back and cut them out. If they call don’t answer, don’t open their texts just delete them. If you need someone out of your life you’re never going to be able to move on if they keep reentering your life. Their sadness doesn’t need to be yours too.
What are your tips to move on? Sorry if anyone has to move on in the first place, that sucks. I’m sending hugs your way if you do, not fun at all. I hope you’re doing okay.