A Friend Crush

I’ve decided to stop Dear December because it’s too stressful with finals and everything. I have another plan that I thought up in the shower. I hate quitting and giving up but it’s tough with the amount of stress I’ve been feeling. I had been doing really well with my anxiety and it’s starting to get worse again so I just don’t want to get out of control like it was last year.

So onto the actual post. I get these these feeling where I see someone and I just want to be friends with them, I didn’t have a name for it until Zoe called it a friendship crush the other night at dinner and I really like the sounds of that because this happens to me all the time. The reason we were talking about it was because there’s is this guy that is really attractive but he hardly talks to anyone and for some reason this just really intrigues me and I want to know everything about him which is very creepy but I want to be friends with him. I feel like this kind of happens to me a lot at school like I’ll kinda know someone and I want to be their friend but we don’t have any mutual friends so I feel like it’s just weird. I don’t know I’m such an awkward person that I can’t make friends.

I also feel this way towards people on the internet. Like I’ll read someones blog and just feel such a connection with them that I just want to be their friend. I’ll see the ‘About Me’ page and I think “We’re the same person, oh my gosh, if I knew them in real life there is no doubt we would be best friends” which is just lovely in my opinion. That’s one of the reasons I love the internet, you find people who are so similar to you, they just so happen to live in other states/countries/continents.

The more I think about it the more creepy this sounds. Is anyone else like this? They just kinda know someone so they want to be best friends with them? I think I might just be really creepy. Oh goodness I hope not. Please tell me I’m not a creep in the comments.

signature

12 thoughts on “A Friend Crush

1. tryingnovelty December 4, 2014 / 10:57 pm

This happens to me All. The. Time. Except, my “crushes” are always on people who have a group of friends already, which pretty much ensures that I’ll never approach them. I feel like if the person is alone id feel more comfortable approaching them. Give it a gon

• Mary December 4, 2014 / 11:01 pm

Okay I’m going to send you an embarrassing story with this kid via Facebook message tomorrow because befriending him did NOT work at all.

• tryingnovelty December 4, 2014 / 11:01 pm

Hahhahaha oh no!!!! I am sorry to hear that but im also super excited to hear… Hahah!

2. theworldofcos December 4, 2014 / 10:57 pm

Good luck with finals! & your not creepy. It’s human nature to want to connect with others.

• Mary December 4, 2014 / 10:59 pm

Thank you!!

3. littlepasc December 5, 2014 / 9:51 am

You might be a little creepy but i think everyone is in some way hahaha ;-) and you are totally right about the “reaing the about me page of someone and wanting to be his/her friend” ! It happens to me all the time hahah

• Mary December 5, 2014 / 11:16 am

Well at least I’m not the only one!!

4. gettingthroughanxiety December 5, 2014 / 11:37 am

Mary,
    I kind of get what your saying. Like I think of you as a friend and I don’t know really know you. At the same time though, I don’t really think of a lot of people online that I don’t know as “friends”, more like people that I get along with well. I think you have to be careful online since you don’t really know people so that’s why I’m a little more resistant to saying they’re friends.

I do agree though that there are people that you see and want to get to know. I’ve had classes with people that I don’t really talk to too much but I’d really get to know people. Also, I’ve taken online classes and made friends so I don’t think you always have to meet them…just as long as you’re careful. Don’t worry, you’re not creepy!

• Mary December 5, 2014 / 12:04 pm

Very true, taking precautions with people you meet online.

Thank you!

5. Happy Lifeaholic December 8, 2014 / 11:01 pm

I am sooo guilty of this! I totally friend crush on almost a daily basis. Actually, I’ve made a few good blog friends because of it. :)

• Mary December 9, 2014 / 4:47 pm

Me too! It’s a good bad habit. Slightly creepy in real life but hey, maybe I’ll make a friend out of it!