No I’m not talking about the acting/singing/general theme, I’m talking about the message here. So please don’t get mad at me for saying that High School Musical is better than Grease, because I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all but I really think that High School Musical conveys a much more appropriate message.
This idea was all sparked by an ABC Family commercial today for Grease (on Sunday incase you’re interested) with the catch line “The original High School Musical” well that stumped me a little bit. If I remember correctly there was no pregnancy scare in High School Musical, there was no drive-in movies that caused the girls to feel maybe a tad at risk, there was no changing for a boy because otherwise it wouldn’t work out. I’m not saying that maybe Grease is a more realistic image of what high school is, but I don’t think that’s the message everyone should learn.
I think we should teach kid/teens/everyone to be themselves, like Troy and Gabriella. Gabriella didn’t become a cheerleader because Troy was an athlete, and Troy didn’t start studying more because Gabriella was more into academia than he was. They had a balanced relationship and both found new hobbies in musical theater together, and that was perfect. High School Musical was the perfect balance, and taught us how to be individuals, while Grease urged us to conform to what men want from us. Sure, Danny briefly thought to change for Sandy for about a minute, until she came in wearing tight leather pants, no need for him to change anymore. I know this is an older movie, but come on! That’s ridiculous.
I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong, but if you ask me, women empowerment is clearly written throughout High School Musical (I mean how many times does Gabriella break up with Troy because she deserves better? Three.) while in Grease, it’s not even an underlying message, more like submission and male dominance. Let me know what you think in the comments! Again I’m not talking about movie quality/singing/acting or anything like that, just the message! Thanks for reading!
As it is a Tuesday I found a tag that I’m interested in doing so I’m going to do that. I also did not get very many questions (just two) so I will also be answering those at the end.
99 Questions That No One Asks
- Do you sleep with the closet open or closed? Always open, at school and at home, my closet is really never closed. Sorry mom.
- Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotel? Oh yeah, especially if they smell good. I’ll take anything for free.
- Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? Tucked out. I can’t do tucked in whatsoever.
- Have you ever stolen a street sign before? No, that’s a felony.
- Do you like to use post-it notes? They’re okay, I mean I try and use them because I know they’re useful but I always forget.
- Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? If I cut them I’m going to use them, it’s just the chances of me cutting them are slim to none.
- Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of a bees? Attacked by a bear, I hate bees so much.
- Do you have freckles? Some on my face, arms, and shoulders, not enough for anyone to notice without being very close or someone else pointing them out.
- Do you always smile for pictures? Hardly, my friends and I don’t really take serious pictures so I only smile for pictures with my family or selfies. But sometimes for selfies I forget to smile and that’s why I don’t have very many.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? I have so many, in case you haven’t noticed, but my biggest would have to be people walking or driving slow in front of me and me being in a place where I am unable to pass them. This actually drives me insane.
- Do you ever count your steps when you walk? Yes, especially in cities or on walks around my development.
- Have you ever peed in the woods? Yes, I don’t want to talk about it.
- What about pooped in the woods? Umm no, that’s pretty gross, worse than peeing.
- Do you ever dance even if there’s no music playing? Of course, you should know this if you watch my videos. Also I just dance around sometimes to make my friends feel uncomfortable at the store.
- Do you chew your pens and pencils? I do sometimes if I’m thinking really hard or I’m stressed out.
- How many people have you slept with this week? None, obviously.
- What size is your bed? At home it’s a full at school it’s a twin long.
- What is your song of the week? Counting Stars by One Republic, I fell in love with it over break.
- Is it okay for guys to wear pink? Boys can wear whatever they want to wear just like girls can wear whatever they want to wear, so stop determining whether or not it’s “okay” for people to do/wear/be something different LET’S JUST LET PEOPLE BE WHO THERE ARE QUESTIONS LIKE THESE MAKE ME SO ANGRY! IT IS NOT MY PLACE TO DETERMINE IF A BOY CAN WEAR PINK OR NOT IT IS HIS OWN PERSONAL OPINION, GOT IT?! Well now I’m all fired up.
- Do you still watch cartoons? No, they scare me. Well unless it’s like Beauty and the Beast.
- What’s your least favorite movie? I’m not sure, there are some really weird movies I’ve seen on Netflix that would probably classify as my least favorite.
- Where would you bury hidden treasure if you had some? I’m not going to tell you because then you would find it.
- What do you drink with dinner? Water.
- What do you dip a chicken nugget in? Buffalo sauce.
- What is your favorite food? Fries or chocolate.
- What movies could you watch over and over and still love? The Harry Potter series and Abduction.
- Last person you kissed/kissed you? My parents on the cheek.
- Were you ever a boy/girl scout? Yes, I was a girl scout because I am a girl.
- Would you ever strip or pose nude in a magazine? No I respect myself too much, and I don’t have the body for it. Also if I were going to pose in a magazine I would want to dress as something cool, like a dragon.
- When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? I wrote my friends Hannah and Lindsay letters before Thanksgiving.
- Can you change the oil on a car? I highly doubt it.
- Ever gotten a speeding ticket? No. *knocks on wood*
- Ever ran out of gas? No. *knocks on wood again*
- Favorite kind of sandwich? Peanut butter and fluff.
- Best thing to eat for breakfast? Turkey sausage and an onion bagel, oh my mouth is watering at the very thought.
- What is your usual bedtime? Whenever I feel like sleeping so usually around 1 am.
- Are you lazy? Of course.
- When you were a kid, what did you dress up as for Halloween? What didn’t I dress up as is the better question.
- What is your Chinese astrological sign? A dog. I had to look this up, I didn’t get it. What does that mean?
- How many languages can you speak? I speak English and then very little Spanish and Arabic.
- Do you have any magazine subscriptions? Yes, to Seventeen.
- Which are better legos or lincoln logs? Legos, obviously.
- Are you stubborn? Yes, very. Don’t argue with me. Ever.
- Who is better…Leno or Letterman? I don’t even know who they are…
- Ever watch soap operas? No. Unless you consider Grey’s Anatomy or Degrassi soap operas because some people do.
- Are you afraid of heights? Sometimes, it really depends.
- Do you sing in the car? Of course, loudly and proudly.
- Do you sing in the shower? At home yes, at school no.
- Do you dance in the car? Yes, it’s probably dangerous.
- Ever used a gun? Do nerf guns count?
- Last time you got a portrait taken by a photographer? Sunday with my extended family, not fun at all.
- Do you think musicals are cheesy? Yes, but I love them anyway.
- Is Christmas stressful? Kind of, but I love it.
- Ever eat a pierogi? No I don’t think so.
- Favorite type of fruit pie? I don’t like fruit pies.
- Occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid? Waitress, astronaut, spy, plus many many more.
- Do you believe in ghosts? Not really.
- Ever have a Deja-vu feeling? All the time and I hate it.
- Take a vitamin daily? No. That’s bad isn’t it?
- Wear slippers? Occasionally.
- Wear a bathrobe? Yeah at school all the time and at home when I am taking my time to get ready.
- What do you wear to bed? Just regular pajamas.
- First concert? Hilary Duff.
- Wal-Mart, Target or Kmart? Target <3 I love it. Target=life.
- Nike or Adidas? Neither? I don’t like sneakers.
- Cheetos Or Fritos? Cheetos, yum!
- Peanuts or Sunflower seeds? Both, but neither are my first choice in snacks.
- Ever hear of the group Tres Bien? No, never.
- Ever take dance lessons? Yes, but my dance teacher told me I wasn’t good so I quit. Even though it should’ve been his job to fix it, whatever.
- Is there a profession you picture your future spouse doing? If I have a future spouse I would like to imagine them making a lot of money so I don’t have to do anything. At least I’m honest.
- Can you curl your tongue? Yes.
- Ever won a spelling bee? I am rubbish at spelling.
- Have you ever cried because you were so happy? Yes, many a times.
- Own any record albums? No.
- Own a record player? No.
- Regularly burn incense? No, it gives me a MAJOR headache.
- Ever been in love? Nope, love is overrated.
- Who would you like to see in concert? One Direction, Marcus Butler (I hope someone gets this), Hilary Duff (again), Taylor Swift (again), a High School Musical reunion tour.
- What was the last concert you saw? Taylor Swift
- Hot tea or cold tea? GROSS, neither.
- Tea or coffee? Coffee. Lots of coffee.
- Sugar or snickerdoodles? Both please.
- Can you swim well? No, I have to hold my nose.
- Can you hold your breath without holding your nose? Nope.
- Are you patient? HAHA not at all.
- DJ or band, at a wedding? I have no idea.
- Ever won a contest? Kind of. Like raffles and I got some awards in high school.
- Ever have plastic surgery? Nooooooo.
- Which are better black or green olives? No olives please.
- Can you knit or crochet? I am a crocheting machine.
- Best room for a fireplace? I like outdoor fireplaces.
- Do you want to get married? Probably not.
- If married, how long? Not married… So yeah… Awkward.
- Who was your HS crush? I’m supposed to pick one? Well you see I just put my blog on my Facebook for the first time and I’m very nervous admitting to this but let me just put one out here, Justin, he was my first boyfriend and he’s a cutie pie. Doubt he read this so there. I gave you one of them.
- Do you cry and throw a fit until you get your own way? Occasionally, usually I argue to get my way rather than throw a fit.
- Do you have kids? Nope.
- Do you want kids? Kinda but not really, like I want to have kids to do funny things and be obnoxious but I wouldn’t want to be with them when they’re annoying or bratty.
- Whats your favorite color? None. Don’t even ask me about this please.
- Do you miss anyone right now? Not really though.
Questions asked by readers!
- Asked by Not Lindsay on yesterday’s blog. “What’s it like having such a cool friend such as Lindsay?” It’s a struggle to be so lame in comparison.
- Asked by Alex on Twitter. “What is your schedule going to be when you get back to school?” Well I actually had to look this up and I guess I’ll just give you guys my class schedule and when I plan on studying and stuff… So Mondays start at 11:30 with Arabic until 12:45 and then I have 2:00 I have Model UN until 3:15, so I’ll probably just get lunch to go in between the two classes and this is the same for Wednesdays, which will probably make these my major study/work days because Tuesdays and Thursdays are extremely busy. They start at 8:30 with Biology of Food and Nutrition Lecture until 9:45, then Environmental Science from 11:30 to 12:35 and then I’ll probably get lunch to go because I have sociology from 2-3:15 and then I might want a nap because it’s just an all over the place kind of schedule. Finally on Fridays I have Arabic from 11:30 to 12:15 but then I have the lab portion of my bio class from 2 to 4:50 which is going to be awful! And somewhere between this madness I will find time to go home to work, do homework, study, and maybe socialize occasionally.
Anyway here’s some facts about me because of Tag Tuesday and next week might be a tag, it might be a serious post, it might not be anything special at all. If you have any more questions for or about me comment on any post because I typically answer every comment so yeah. I set up a bloglovin profile yesterday so I believe you can follow me on there too now.
January 13: Binturong or Asian bearcat.
January 14: What emergency use was made of coconut water by British and Japanese medics during World War II?
Don’t forget to guess in the comments!