Every year I review my goals. Normally, I do it twice and this year I didn’t want to do a mid-year review. Mostly because honestly, this is the first time I’ve looked at my goals since last January. L O L. 2017 has been a little rough- some really cool stuff happened and I might do a reflection piece all about that, but at the same time I’ve been creatively bogged down, exhausted, and often generally defeated. However, let’s dive into that as I reflect on my 2017 goals.
- Blog at LEAST three times a week. This did not happen. Obviously. I’ve found extremely difficult to manage my work writing and then staying motivated enough to come home and write more often. I did, however, write far more than I did last year, finally broke 500 followers (thank you everyone) and was proud of every piece I published.
- Go self-hosted, break out of .wordpress (eek!!) Done! I thought it would be scarier because that yearly $100 price tag seemed high, but I renewed it this month with no hesitation. I’m content with my domain name and look of my blog (generally).
- Get my first real adult job doing something I love. I’m working in my field- which I love that I’m using my degree. There are parts of my job that I really do love, however, this isn’t my dream job and my boss reassures me that it’s a stepping stone to doing what I really want to do- freelancing.
- Move out of my parent’s house. I did! I *officially* moved to Frederick where I had semi-permanently lived over the four years of college. Now, it’s my home.
- Travel somewhere cool. I didn’t go anywhere super cool and exciting- at least to most people. However, for me, I had a lot of fun going to BloggyCon and spending time with people who love the same things as me. Mostly, having people understand me when I talked was really cool too. After I went there, I took the long way home and visited a friend who is in Kentucky (hi Kellianne) which was just super nice.
- Grow in my relationships with God and Jesus. That’s a personal question goal that I don’t need to delve into on the internet :) One day there will be a whole post on my religious views.
- Learn something new I learned to embroider and knit this year! I’m not advanced at either but I’d say I’m a novice in both.
- Eat better– i.e. eventually no more dairy or soy, the crux of all of my stomach issues I did- it didn’t work.
- Find a therapist wherever I end up post-graduation to continue positively growing with my mental health. I didn’t do this. It turned out I dreading going to therapy. I’m still on medication and one day I hope to find a therapist that I connect with better but overall I’m okay(ish) where I am now anxiety wise.
- Be creative all the time, in thinking, in daily life, constantly expanding my mind in creativity. Obviously, from the first paragraph of this post- this was trying for me. I’ve had creativity-block like others have writer’s block. It has impacted nearly every aspect of my life and has been incredibly annoying. However, this is something to work on again for 2018.
How did you do on your 2017 goals? As you can guess, my 2018 goals are around the corner!
The loom of failed 2014 goals have been over my head since about January 2nd. I’m very hard on myself when it comes to goals, I hate to think that I could fail. I don’t like to fail. I don’t like to think that failure is in my horizon but it is always there just waiting for me. The number one goal on my list was to blog everyday and get 300 followers and guess what I HAVE 300 FOLLOWERS! This made me cry last night and it’s making me cry again.
I’ve been doing the count with my emails when I’m not on my computer because I’ve been in single digits all week. I must have miscounted because when I hopped on the computer last night I saw the number 300 and it didn’t really register for a few hours. Like I saw it, assumed it was wrong, worked on some Christmas presents, came back to respond to a comment and then it hit me, I accomplished something I didn’t think would happen.
I assumed that I would maybe get 200 by the end of the year, I hit 100 in March and I had already been blogging for about six months. I can’t quite remember when I hit 200, I want to say July, and another 100 just seemed like it was becoming impractical. I guess not because it happened last night, so thank you. Thank you to all of you who follow me and comment and like. Thank you to those of you who silently read and enjoy. Thank you to my friends and family for endless support and compliments on my blog, even the quoting of me to me, I love it. I love everyone and I’ve been crying happiness tears since last night.
So I’m going to celebrate on Friday with IHOP and I invite you to join me at your perspective IHOPs or I mean if you’re local and I like you why not? Just kidding please don’t be creepy and find my IHOP unless I know you in real life or we’ve talked before.
You’re the best. Thank you for helping me reach my goals.
Well I intended on doing this June 1st, you know, half way through the year, well my intentions are usually better than what happens (unless it was a good post that day, then it’s okay I suppose), anyway, New Year’s Goals Update! I think it’s good to keep track of these sorts of things just to keep myself in check and remember what I think is important. Both of those sentences were way too long, my apologies. I’m going to rewrite all of the goals again but if you want to read the original you can find that here.
- Blog everyday- I would like to try and really do this as well as have some sort of schedule for the postings. Well I think I’ve only missed one day, even if I’m posting after midnight. However, I think I have made up that post I missed. But, I stopped with the schedule it wasn’t working for me. I think I kept it for two or three months, which I find impressive.
- Reach 300 followers, this is just a personal goal and if it doesn’t happen it’s totally okay I think it’s something I want to try. Well I’m almost to 200 so it seems attainable. However, I think blogging is so much more than the number of followers, but also the quality. The people I’ve talked to in comments have lead to a friendship. Blogging is a place where I can speak my mind freely and people who share the same opinion will find me or those who disagree will find me and let me know.
- Make a really good friend at school, someone to hang out with and get meals with on a regular basis. I did make really good friends at school last semester, you know who you are. I love you guys.
- Get a new job, and this doesn’t mean quit my current job because it’s a good safety net but I really need a new job to make more money. I did better than this, or at least in my opinion, I got an awesome internship, that’s paid and I’m making more money. I’m very happy where I am now.
- A more positive outlook on life- I really need to stop being so negative and hating everything, and I want to try to be more optimistic. I think I have been slightly more optimistic so far this year. I don’t think I’m as negative as I was, but I still wouldn’t say I’m optimistic.
- Go to a party for more than 30 minutes. This is something that I just need to do for myself, I don’t need to drink or do drugs or whatever people do at parties but I need to experience college better. I think after last nights post it’s safe to say I haven’t done this and I won’t be doing it anytime soon.
- Try to overcome my anxiety. I just want to figure out and calm down so it’s not so bad because it hinders me from doing things that I really want to do and that needs to stop. I think after my semi-regular anxiety updates we know where I am. Right now, I’m in a bad place, tomorrow I could be in a good place. I think it’s really inconsistent and I still need to seek help.
- Stop cracking my knuckles- pretty self explanatory. Well I forgot about this one so it’s not going well consider I still crack my knuckles all the time.
- To be passionate about something- I feel like a lot of things, but I don’t feel like I’m really passionate about anything and I really really want to be. I think I’m passionate about blogging. I love it. There are some night where it’s 11:00 and I have work in the morning, where I think to myself “Shit, I still have to write a quick post for tonight.” But even then it’s not like I hate doing, I’m more annoyed at myself for staying out too late or doing nothing all night and just not doing it. I’m also becoming very passionate about Arrowheart, working on new designs, promoting it on social media and such, I’m really excited about it.
- 300 YouTube subscriber, which I’m seeing as kind of unrealistic right now but it’s something that I would like to hopefully achieve this year. I stopped YouTuber, and I talked to Hiba about it for a little bit and she’s encouraging, but when we looked at the broader picture I’m not sure it’s a good idea. I realized all it takes is one big person to like your videos and you’re channel will spiral and that’s not something I want. I don’t want to be YouTube famous, and I’m not saying that’s what would’ve happened to me, but if it did, I don’t think I would’ve been able to handle it. For now, I’ll stay behind my screen.
- I would like to better recognize those who actually care about me compared to those who only want things from me. Slowly but surely I think I’ve been doing that. It’s hard but I’m trying, sometimes I don’t know what to do.
- I want to remember to tell those I appreciate how much they mean to me. I try to tell everyone that I appreciate them, but I’m not sure if I always do that, I think I’m trying though.
- I need to keep in mind that I am really lucky especially when things are bad. I don’t do this enough. I think more so lately, especially when things go my way. I should do it more when I’m not happy though.
- I would love to learn something new, so suggestions please! I need a cool new hobby! I don’t think I’ve done this yet… I’m not sure what to do! Leave me comments of what to learn!
- Joe Sugg. Look him up, I’m in love with him. Tell him to love me. Well I hate to tell you guys but I’m not in love with Joe anymore. I have a real life crush on Connor Franta, like an actual crush. When I watch his videos he’s like everything I look for in a guy and it sucks because of two reasons 1) He might be gay, 2) He has no idea who I am. So if you want you can tweet him my twitter name (@mrmilligan13) and just tell him that I’m perfect for him, feel free :)
Seriously though leave a comment with something I can learn to do. Anyway, that’s where I am with my goals. Where are you with your resolutions/goals?
Every year I make New Year’s resolutions and my original plan was to reflect on my last years resolutions except I did such a good job keeping up to date on it and I lost them, so I thought I would share with you my goals for the new year.
- Blog everyday- I would like to try and really do this as well as have some sort of schedule for the postings.
- Reach 300 followers, this is just a personal goal and if it doesn’t happen it’s totally okay I think it’s something I want to try.
- Make a really good friend at school, someone to hang out with and get meals with on a regular basis.
- Get a new job, and this doesn’t mean quit my current job because it’s a good safety net but I really need a new job to make more money.
- A more positive outlook on life- I really need to stop being so negative and hating everything, and I want to try to be more optimistic
- Go to a party for more than 30 minutes. This is something that I just need to do for myself, I don’t need to drink or do drugs or whatever people do at parties but I need to experience college better.
- Try to overcome my anxiety. I just want to figure out and calm down so it’s not so bad because it hinders me from doing things that I really want to do and that needs to stop.
- Stop cracking my knuckles- pretty self explanatory.
- To be passionate about something- I feel like a lot of things, but I don’t feel like I’m really passionate about anything and I really really want to be.
- 300 YouTube subscriber, which I’m seeing as kind of unrealistic right now but it’s something that I would like to hopefully achieve this year.
- I would like to better recognize those who actually care about me compared to those who only want things from me.
- I want to remember to tell those I appreciate how much they mean to me.
- I need to keep in mind that I am really lucky especially when things are bad.
- I would love to learn something new, so suggestions please! I need a cool new hobby!
- Joe Sugg. Look him up, I’m in love with him. Tell him to love me.
So share with me your goals! Hope you enjoyed!
Happy (almost) New Year!